Monday, February 25, 2013

Ain't No Party Like an Oscar Party



I love the Oscars. I love movies, I love clothes, I love celebrities, but most of all, I love any excuse to throw an absolutely ridiculous party in my own home. Now, my Oscar party is not huge -- in fact, we only invite one other family. There are a couple of reasons for this -- the main one being that I have a four-year-old boy who likes to annoy people when they watch and needs to go to bed about the time they start handing out the awards for the short films. So it's not a big party, but it is a FANCY party. Fanciness is the key.


So we rolled out the red carpet, poured some champagne (and later, my husband's expertly made Old Fashioneds), and dined on some fine fair including deviled eggs with caviar. Caviar is one of my secret favourite snacks (I know, I know), so any chance to eat it without looking like a ponce is a chance I'm going to take. 



As for the awards: Argo = okay, but not the best movie I've ever seen, Silver Linings Playbook look likes it has too much dancing in it (admittedly, I haven't actually seen it), I haven't seen Lincoln but I don't generally like biopics (though good gravy, is Daniel Day Lewis every handsome in a tux), and I love Les Miserables even though I can see that it is deeply, deeply flawed as a film. Seth MacFarlane? I generally can't stand The Family Guy and found a lot of his jokes really offensive (No, not the boobs song, which was supposed to be offensive, but definitely the jibes against slavery, Jews, and women). But who cares? There was caviar.

2 comments:

voula said...

Great excuse for a party and I LOVE the retro Westward Inn glasses!

Elizabeth said...

One of my greatest garage sale scores ever.